Softball is based on the sport baseball. The main difference between baseball and softball is that the pitch on which softball is played is smaller than that of baseball. Softball is usually played as a recreational activity. Some rules of baseball and softball are common but some of them are different. There are professional softball leagues in Asia, Europe and South America but the sport is widely popular in North America.
What is the Objective of Game Softball?
In softball, the ball is supposed to be hit by the players before they can run around the infield. The infield has four bases. When a player runs the round without being given out, a run is counted and scored. The team that has the most runs is declared as the winning team at the end of the game.
Rules & Regulations of Softball
- There are 9 team members in a team and the teams can consist of players of mixed gender.
- There are two innings in the game, the top inning and the bottom inning. A game lasts for 7 innings.
- In each inning, each team gets to bat once before they switch sides.
- There are a pitcher, catcher, a player on the first base, second base, third base, three deep fielders and shortstop in the fielding team.
- The player that is batting must successfully hit the ball before running around the infield. They try to cover as many bases as possible.
- The fielding team can prevent the batsman by doing either of the following:
- Making the batsman missed the ball
- Catching the ball that the batsman has hit
- Tagging one of the bases that the batsman is trying to reach
- Tagging the batsman while running with the ball in their hand.
- The foul area in the game is down the first and third baseline.
- If the ball crosses this area without bouncing, it is considered dead and the play is restarted with a new pitch.
- When a ball is hit over the outfield and into a dead ball area, a home run is scored. The batsman can hit a home run and then run around the bases to score additional runs with the additional batsmen on the base.
Softball Scoring System
In order to score a run, a player must hit the ball successfully and then run around as many bases in the field as possible without being given out. For every player that is batting and that manages to get around, a run is scored. If a batsman does not make it round to home after hitting the ball but then manages to get a player that is already on one of the bases homes, a run can still be scored. At the end of the game, when all 7 innings have been completed, the winners are declared. The team that has the most runs at the end of the game wins. If the score is tied at the end of the game, extra innings can be played until a winning team can be declared.