All around the world diving is played in different forms and is one of the popular sports. In simple words, diving is a sport in which players dive off a platform or a springboard into water. But while diving into the water, they perform acrobatics that contributes to their scores. The participants need to be completely focused and dedicated while performing the complicated acrobatic moves when they are diving not only to prevent getting injured but to score maximum points from the judges. One type of diving is cliff diving and it is known for the thrill but diving into a pool from springboards and platforms that are situated at different heights is the one type that is most popular and is included in the Olympic events. Apart from the diving competitions, people participate in the sport for recreational purposes as well.
Objective of Game
Participants have to score maximum scoring points by dividing into the pool while performing scoring techniques like different acrobatic moves in diving competitions. The participant with the most points is declared a winner at the end of the event. If the diving competition is between pairs, then the pair with the most points wins.
Rules & Regulations of Diving – Know the Game Better!
The rules of diving are different for different types of diving. There are two types of diving such as springboard diving and platform diving. The rules for both types of diving are given below:
- For men, the number of dives to be completed is six and for women, the number of dives to be completed is five.
- Participants can perform at any degree of difficulty while diving.
- There has to be one dive from each type of dive such as forward, back, reverse, inward, twisting. Men can perform a type of dive twice as they have to dive six times but women can not as they have to dive five times and can without repetition.
- Men have to perform six dives and women need to perform five dives.
- For both males and females, the difficulty level of the first two dives should be 2.0. The remaining dives can be performed with any difficulty level by both the female as well as male participants.
- While performing, men and women must perform at least one forward-facing dive.
Related Content: Surfing Rules – Basic Rules Every Beginner Must Know
Diving Scoring System
Generally in international competitions, there are five or more judges in the judging panels. Judges judge the dives and score every dive with points between 1 to 10 where 0 is completely failed and 10 is excellent. Judges look for five major elements in each dive based on which they score the points. Those five elements are as follows:
- Starting position
At the end of the diving events or competitions, the participant with the highest score is declared a winner.